Keep Safety in the Kitchen a Top Priority

The kitchen is a common gathering place for family and friends, particularly at Thanksgiving.

Manitoba Hydro wants to help keep you safe. If you’re hosting a big dinner, keep safety in mind – by following a few simple tips, you can make sure your special dinner is free of injury or damage.

  • Unattended cooking is by far the leading contributor in cooking fires and fire deaths. When cooking, don’t leave the stovetop unattended.
  • Check on your turkey frequently.
  • Many pieces of kitchen equipment require dedicated circuits, including stoves and microwave ovens. Don’t overload a circuit in your home. It could cause breakers to flip, ruining your meal, or worse – it could cause a fire.
  • Cutting or burning through an electrical cord puts you at risk for electrocution. Keep electrical cords away from knives, scissors and stovetops.
  • A cluttered countertop can lead to clumsiness and overloaded circuits. When you’re finished using an appliance, unplug it, wait for it to cool and put it away.
  • Always unplug appliances before adjusting their attachments.
  • Keep a fire extinguisher near the kitchen.
  • Watch children in the kitchen – ovens can get very hot, and dangling cords can easily catch on wayward limbs.

For more information about safety, visit Manitoba Hydro’s website at hydro.mb.ca.

Prepared by Linda Carter, PHEc Public Safety & Education Coordinator, Manitoba Hydro.